Launching a new website is just the first step to building a positive and productive online presence. Your website is your public face, and it is critical that all the information on your website be kept up-to-date.
We recommend considering, long before your site goes live, how updates will be managed. Who will be responsible for keeping it current? Will you handle it in house or would you prefer to have us make the changes?
We use WordPress to build most of our websites, and, with instruction, a person with strong computer skills will find it relatively simple to use. If you would like your new site to be updated in-house we recommend:
- budgeting for a minimum of 2 hours of instruction
- confirming that the person who will be responsible for updating the site has the necessary skills
We have developed a list of basic computer tasks that anyone planning to maintain a WordPress website should already feel confident performing. When you have identified the person in your organization who will be responsible for site maintenance, we recommend that you review the following list with them:
- Cutting, copying and pasting text
- Formatting text
- Bulleting and numbering
- Using heading tags
- Applying hard and soft paragraph breaks
- Saving a file to a specific location
- Organizing files and folders
- Downloading images off the web
- Transferring images off a digital camera
- Resizing and cropping images
- Changing an image’s file format
- Copying and using web addresses
- Opening links in new windows or tabs
- Organizing information in a logical structure
If the person you have selected to maintain your website is not comfortable performing the tasks listed above, we recommend that you have us maintain the website for you. Once your person’s skills are more fully realized, they will be able to take on this new responsibility with confidence.